Sunday, November 23

Towards Pakistan - Lahore

One place that I never thought I would visit was Pakistan. But here I am, landing at the airport I sceptically walk to the customs. I still had my shorts and sleeveless T-shirt on from Thailand. It being a Muslim country first thing I did was go to the toilet and change to a normal t-shirt and long pants. That got me last in line of immigration...Loads of Chinese in front of me. One security guard came and asked where I'm from and the guys ahead of me. They said China, I said Finland and he let me come first in line. Ok, great thanks! Already feeling very welcome :)
I wonder what they would say if I went to USA now with a Pakistan visa with a stamp on in my passport...? Probably a ton of questions...
Asad picked me up at the airport and we headed for the hotel. I was surprised that it was quite smoggy in Lahore, like a lighter version of Beijing. Smelled of something burnt in the air. Everything very peaceful and normal though. I don't know what I had expected of Pakistan, you see and hear so many things in the news. Positively surprised!. The hotel was very nice too, the receptionist proudly said it was the biggest in all of Pakistan with 640 rooms! Kind of gave a feeling of "Great Hotel Budapest" movie, everything was like 1950s' and stylish. If you haven't seen that movie, watch it.


Lobby of the hotel was very mighty. The few hundred year old chandeliers made it look even better 
One well preserved Rolls from the past 
Dibbs on this guys hat

Too bad it was cold outside 
Muu-muu's blocking our way
Looks like this guy didn't get much sleep last night
Banners & traffic
Yummy yummy food
Who needs a shave?? 

Spent some time walking around the old town of Lahore, they still use the technology that the British build 130 years ago. Amazing how well they knew their stuff back then already. Are you reading this James?? The old town was beautiful, full of smells, noises, honking, sounds, minarets, history and character. It was like stepping into another world (specially if you never lived anywhere in Asia before).
Awesome silver work
The Great Mosque from Cockoos Restaurant. One of the best food & view you can find here
Restaurant sculptures 
Streets of old town

Notice that boys & girls go separate
Electricity connection done RIGHT 
Skinny horses
Wakir Khans Mosque
Towards Mecca 
Gate of Delhi (because it points towards Delhi)
T-Bone steak in the making
Mini alley, to make it more difficult for the enemy in the past to attack. They got lost in the city 
Jewellery street
The Norwegian government is financing a renovation of an old bath house. My friend knew the construction workers there and we had a peak at it. Must have been so awesome back in the days! 
Big staircase...
"Hindu temple"

I was also honored to meet some of the most famous local doctors and visit clinics and hospitals. It really was an eye opening and experience rich trip! The only bad thing was the last day when I caught some sort of stomach bug that luckily only lasted for about 48 hours but it made the next flight very very unconvenient when you feel too weak to walk and even think. Also freezing in a small fever although it's 30 degrees outside. Not fun.

Chilling with Aamer
Chem was waiting for me in the reception :)

Thank you so much for all the awesome days spent there, specially Asad, Iftikhar & Asim!! Looking forward to show you around next time!

The Lahore homies (was growing a local beard!)
 Smiiiiiles everyone 

1 comment:

Shuò said...

Not sure about James but Shuo is reading this :)