Wednesday, January 26

Vietnam Saigon - The City of Bikes - Day 1

Back online again! I didn't take my laptop with me here so let's see how often I can update...
The flight from Shanghai to Saigon was over 1h late and after a over 4h long plane ride we arrive at Saigon around 4am. I must say that I was kinda worried getting through the customs because I had no Visa for getting into Vietnam. 2 weeks ago i contacted the Vietnamese embassy and they said I don't need one but James needed one...Well at the customs everything went fine and I got a stamp that gave me a right to stay here until 10.2.2011 without a visa. Seems that only Scandinavian countries have this privilege, all other countries need a Visa.

Saigon is by far the MOST chaotic traffic I have ever seen! A friend told me that there are about 15 million people in Saigon AND 7 million motorcycles! They are EVERYWHERE! and the traffic is down town is just crazy but also very smooth in a way. The War Museum had a lot of American planes, helicopters and tanks, too bad it closed at 5 pm and we were there at 5.30. Will come back in 1 week and take more pics.
We had some street kitchen spring rolls, were really good and fresh! So far our stomachs are just fine! It's about 28 degrees here and shorts and slippers are the way to go!
Since Saigon or Vietnam used to be a French colony the French even build a second Notre Dame in the city centre and it looks pretty identical, just a little smaller than the original...
We bought 2 Honda motorcycles from this Kevin guy who runs a business in selling them and then buying them back after 1 or 2 weeks for a little less than he sold them for. He has been here in Saigon for over 7 years and knows how everything works very well. On our 7 days motorbike trip we will have Spencer, a Vietnamese guy with us who will show us to all the right places and organize hotels etc etc for maximum comfort! So tomorrow morning we are starting our roadtrip! We will stop at many places but the final destination will be Nha Trang!

No comments: