Sunday, March 7

Chinglish and failure to comply


There was a funny add in the elevator to a shopping mall...I sometimes wonder how these people get their jobs as translators here in China. Not to mention about the level of education, LOW! Well most of the jobs you get here are because you know someone, it's also called "Guan xi 关系" in chinese which means RELATIONS.

I found the best store in Beijing just next to my house! They have a cheese-disk, meat, salmon and all kinds of awesome imported stuff that you cannot find anywhere here. The last few days I've been enjoying salmon and brie cheese :):)













I was at Timos place watching some movies last night because we didn't feel like going out anywhere.
On my way home I went to McDonalds to satisfy my nightly hunger since all Mc's are open 24/7 here. I ordered a Big Mac with 2 extra steaks...But they said it is IMPOSSIBLE! 4 STEAKS! Impossible? Just add 2 stakes to the price dammit! But they were totally lost there and said it cannot be done...
One thing about chinese culture: everything is done by the book and if it's out of
the book it is impossible to do. They don't know how to handle the situation if it's not written anywhere. Another thing is that they are not allowed to make any decisions on their own, everything has to be accepted by a manager or a person in charge.
I talked to the manager and insisted that i want a Big Mac with 4 steaks in total. We came to a conclusion that I pay for 2 Big Mac burgers (2,5 euros) and that was it. The clerk was totally confused and could not understand why somebody would "alter" his burger, poor guy...

No comments: