Tuesday, February 7

Malapascua -> Cebu City



After 9 amazing days diving it was time to leave lovely Malapascua. Getting to Cebu from Malapascua takes about half a day. There are boats going around 8 am - 14.00 pm and they cost about 2-3 Euros. If you take a private boat the price is 10x higher. Same kind of boat really (plenty of space) so I didn't see a point to pay more.

Early morning on ferry...and 1 boat pulling the other
Another reason why I took the ferry was because I didn't have ANY money. I was living with 20 Euros for 4 days. There are no ATM machines on Malapascua so make sure you have enough cash with you! Luckily the dive center accepts bank transfers so I got my scuba courses paid (thanks Mom!). I saw a place where they would have changed Euro and U.S dollars to local Pesos but i only had RMB. I'd like to thank Gary who paid my dinner so I could afford to take the boat/buss. The Singaporean team who borrowed me their diving camera and a random frensh couple I didn't get the names of who paid my taxi from the buss station to the hotel.

10 days Castaway and counting, where's my Wilson?
After the boat ride I took the local buss towards Cebu City. The ride took around 6 hours and parts of the road was very shaky since there was construction 60% of the way. Cool thing was that you could open the windows like in a car. Saw a lot of shacks and powerty on the way and every time we stopped for toilet or food a lot of sellers flocked the buss and wanted to sell snacks. I bought some nut-caramel looking thing. Tasted like Yber sweet Snickers and I couldn't finish it, the local energy drinks called Samurai were good though.

Buss was packed, best were the open windows :)
Were a lot of sellers by each stop
"Philippine Snickers"
We stayed in Cebu for 3 days walking around Fort San Pedro and Santa Nino Basilica and checked out the nightlife. The Spanish settlers build the stuff here around 400 years ago. The Filipino language has a lot of common words with spanish according to some foreigners I met here.
San Pedro entrance
Boom boom, Seba Cebu 1-0
Santa Nino Basilica, it was weekend and a lot of people visiting. We didn't stay too long because crowded places in Manila tend to be blown up by some terrorists. It happened 3 days before we came here. It's just better to go in, have a look around and leave. Never know...All guards were carrying shotguns and automatic rifles. I still can't decide if that makes me feel safe or the opposite.
They really like Jesus here (probably my most mature comment so far)
Cebu is really cheap compared to other Asian cities I've been to. For 9 days on Malapascua I hadn't washed my hair, cut my nails or shaved. Went to do a whole set, cut my hair, fix nails, foot scrub etc the whole lot. cost me around 5 Euros and took 2 hours. WOW! After that a 2,5 hour massage which also was 5 euros. The people are very friendly and they speak really good english. Nothing like here in China.

Well, whatever turns you on...thats about 5 euros (went for the 2 hour oil massage instead)
Ladyboy manicure and pedicure + the rest. But my hair looks great and my nails aren't 10cm long anymore.
Philippines was one of the best Southern Asia places I have so far been at. I can't find anything bad about the whole place. Laid back people, cheap, good food, friendly, beautiful, clean, perfect for diving, sunny, warm and the list goes on! So coming back!

Beautiful empty building @ sunset
Hop on off busses all around the city 30 cents (problem is to know where they are going)
Budget sign with paint - Win!
Here you can rent/loan? a car, without taking your own, genius idea! Or did I miss something

No comments: