Sunday, June 24

Midsummer - Hyvää Juhannusta Kaikille!

This is my first midsummer in Finland in 4 years! Midsummer in Finland is all about going out to your or your friends summer cottage. Do some barbecue, go to sauna and finally get smashed by a bonfire! I spent some of the day at our island, then for a drink with Kirkkis and Tomppy followed but a huge fire at Petteris place on Tunnholmen. The weather was perfect and warm! This fresh air is just what I've been needing after dirty Beijing. 

 Thanks Daniel for driving when I was...incapable

 Fooooood
 Hammock bought from Phillipines :)
 Baggholmen, this is where I grew up in the summers

 The Pellinge sun goes down but never sets. This is the longest day of the year and it does not get dark


 Thanks for driving me Stefan

Bonfire and party at Tunnholmen:



 The traditional midsummer bonfire "Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko!"



 My shoe melted when I went too close for pictures...
 A wartime torpedo was found outside Tunnholmen after some diving a few years ago. Also a mine which the cost guards took away and blew up. There are estimated about 10.000 mines left from the war in the Baltic Sea. 150.000 was dropped here during the war...
 Mr.Mäkinen! Thanks for hosting a great midsummer!
The next morning the coast guards were hovering with a helicopter above the island clearly looking for something. Wonder what it was...Hope no one had fallen off a boat.

No comments: