Tuesday, September 6

Mooncakes - Yue Bing


The Moon-cake festival is coming and everybody HAS to buy Moon-cakes and give them as present. I wonder how many cakes they have to produce every year for this one festival. It's is one of Chinas oldest traditions to eat Moon-cakes in September when the moon is full. Therefore it's called Moon-cake festival, bet you could have figured that out by yourself...Anyway these moon-cakes usually comes in boxes and it's a very sneaky "gift" or corruption treaty to give because it's very easy to put money, gold, iphone or anything else into these boxes as a sign of "goodwill". I heard some people give government officials a lot of gold in these boxes a while ago but now they are trying to prevent that. But I'm sure that this year there will be a lot of people who get "special" cakes in their boxes...In Chinese the mooncakes are called Yuebing yuebing 月饼.
There are different taste of the cakes, some have meat, egg, something sweet etc. Personally I don't like them that much myself but it's just something you have to have once a year, kind of Finnish mämmi in the Easter. Not many foreigners would touch that "dark matter"
Had one of the best Schnizels ever this week! In Shanghai - Hongmeilu! It was around 400g and huuuuge. Almost rolled out of the restaurant afterwards...
Somebody probably had a rough weekend while I was in Suzhou because when I came back the door to the yard was in pieces. Somebody had thrown a stone or something on it. Can see a small round figure where it hit...
On my way to work I saw this guy who was probably a butcher, was driving around with a lot of meat! Think it's pork...

No comments: